Friday 20 September 2013

Those College Days!

Starting Again!
Hello everyone! So, you won't know, but ever since I was a little girl (about 6/7) I have wanted to be up on stage. My parents sent me to 3 different stage schools and dance schools where I learnt ballet, Jazz and Tap along with all the other dramatic stuff! I sang in front of people, I danced in front of people...I loved it! I had close friends my age there, I was doing what I loved and (according to the teachers) doing well at it. 

*sigh*
So naturally I continued this 'drama-loving' theme into secondary school/high school. I took Drama and Dance for my exams. Again I dance solo's, I choreographed my own dances and performed in live theatres. But then....

I failed drama....

Dance I got a B though! But yes, Drama gave me that 'well earned' D. Note the sarcasm. 
Anyway! It didn't matter! The college I applied to required me to have four grades C or above  including English! And I did! So I was in college, that's all that mattered! Well, perhaps not to my dad. The first thing he said when he saw my results was, "But that's not good enough". 


Ouch....

Talk about burst ya bubble! My mum though, she brought me a balloon with 'Congratulations!' on it and bragged to all her work colleagues that her daughter had got into college! Great! 

It didn't last...

On the induction day, I was nervous. Now, of course everyone gets nervous but when the course you're doing is Musical Theatre you want to have some level of confidence. 
We were asked to all sing a solo song from a musical of our choice. I chose Mama Mia - I believe in angels. 
When the tutor (who by the way was lovely if a bit intimidating) called my name, I got up and gave her my CD with the backing track on and she pressed play....

Nothing. Not a sound came out of my mouth....

I was too afraid. I had never been so shocked and nervous and confused in all my life! I had never had problems with singing in front of people before.....oh wait but there was that time when....(apparently I was shaking so bad you could see the muscles in my legs wobble, ew)

BUT never mind! It was only the induction day, right?! I mean I would get used to it, right?! 

Wrong.

It continued this way until I just couldn't face that big fat F on my certificate. So, I sent a letter to my tutor. She totally understood and I left the course.

(more to come on this...)
...................................................................................................................................................................



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Tell me something? Got a thought? A question? Go for it!